Library Clerk II
The City of Red Wing is accepting applications for a part-time Library Clerk II to join the team at the Public Library.
Essential Job Functions
- Perform public reception and routine tasks at the circulation desk.
- Check materials in and out, processing items on hold, and notifying patrons of the status of their requests; utilize the library automation computer system.
- Collect patron fines; assess fines for damaged or lost materials.
- Collect fees for meeting rooms and copier use.
- Issue new, replacement, and non-resident library cards; register new patrons on the computer system.
- Organize the checkout desk daily; open and close cash register daily.
- Assist the public in the mechanical use of equipment as needed.
- Accept materials for bulletin boards and lost and found items.
- Answer direct phone calls and handle requests; provide public reception, give directions, and refer questions to appropriate staff.
- Maintain organization and cleanliness of the library collection; maintain book carts, perform book cleaning, and coordinate repair and return of missing items.
- Perform tasks related to Reference/interlibrary loan services; receive book orders, determine status, route hold and damaged items.
- Utilize library automation system and other computer programs to create documents, templates, emails, and reports; create signs and displays for special projects.
- Monitor the library for unsafe situations and disruptive behavior.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience, Education, Certifications, Physical Requirements
Experience Required: One (1) year of work experience providing direct customer service. One (1) year of previous library experience preferred.
Minimum Education Requirements: High School diploma or G.E.D.
- Stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Moderate physical effort of lifting between 5 and 25 pounds on a regular basis.
- Required to work weekends and evenings.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Alpha and numeric systems.
- Computer proficiency.
- Thorough understanding of City’s functions, policies, and procedures.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Good oral and written communications and relational skills.
- Follow and relay oral and written instructions, policies and procedures.
- Analytical and problem solving.
- Work effectively with others.
- Provide customer service in a professional manner to patrons.
We are an EOE.