Human Resources Administrative Assistant
* Screen and direct calls and visitors for Human Resources Department. Take messages, receive and record complaints, respond to requests for information from the public, other departments or department personnel, refer inquiries to others as required by the nature of the call, handling routine calls without supervision. Also, assists City Attorney, Mayor and County Administration Offices in these matters.
* Process new employees, assuring that all required paperwork is complete prior to new employee starting work. Create City ID's for new employees and obtain building access fobs as needed.
* Explain City policies, procedures, union contracts and benefits to employees.
* Process background checks on new employees, including credit reports.
* Record and transcribe Human Resources Committee meeting minutes. Draft letters, memoranda, reports, forms, orders, agendas and other material as directed by the Committee. Prepare recommendations to Council.
* Reconcile and process bills received by entering information into computer financial system.
* Accumulate data for and prepare personnel action forms (PAF) for employee changes. Enter changes into the computer system and distribute PAF copies to payroll.
* Update and maintain personnel files, occupational health files and computerized personnel records. Scan and purge old files as needed.
* Assist employees with leaves of absences, ensuring all required paperwork is properly completed. Monitors all leaves of absences, following up with employee and supervisor to provide for smooth return to work.
* Schedule employment interviews and meetings.
* Initiate, maintain, index, and oversee departmental files, including correspondence, reports, forms, documentation, contracts, orders, and meeting agendas and minutes.
* Update Commercial Driver License (CDL) drug/alcohol test list, providing necessary changes to the City's program provider. Monitor CDL expirations and obtain copy of new license. Process license renewal reimbursements to employee.
* Schedule and maintain DOT random drug/alcohol tests within required timeframe. Communicate with testing company on inability to test candidate.
* Update random drug testing list for Police Department, providing necessary changes to contracted program provider.
* Complete employee verification request forms to confirm employment and earnings with the City.
* Notarize documents for employees, applicants or citizens.
* Open, sort, and distribute incoming mail.
* Assist with maintenance of the on-line Human Resources Information System, updating certain information available for employees to view on the P: drive and for the public to view on the human resources department web page.
* Assist employees with payroll questions or problems.
* Maintain City employment data, such as organization charts and position allocation spreadsheets.
* Conduct employment tests for employees as required for their position. Assist with administration of other employment exams as necessary.
* Assist with salary and benefit survey completion as needed.
* Utilize applicant tracking software to obtain job posting and applicant information and run reports.
* Coordinate and communicate City-wide employee activities.
* Collect and compile data for various projects being worked on by department.
* Prepare replies to correspondence, or make telephone contacts as needed.
* Coordinate and process departmental travel requisitions, completing all required paperwork.
* Maintain accurate files of required training/testing/certification dates and employees who completed it. Enter data into computer system.
* Participate in seasonal employee job interviews.
* Maintain and order office supplies.
* Create and run different types of reports using computer programs and the payroll system report generator.
* Compile information for, generate and distribute City newsletter.
* Assist with workers compensation claims and related paperwork and follow up as needed.
* Serve as back-up for payroll timesheet auditing.
* Schedule use of Government Center meeting rooms by City and County departments, committees or outside agencies.
* Maintain memberships in organizations of benefit to the Human Resources Department and City of Superior.
* Perform other job-related duties as required.
Thorough knowledge of:
* Office terminology and procedures, especially as it relates to the Human Resources function; Information technology, to include advanced use of word processing and spreadsheets, database use, creating and editing web pages, and power point.
* The use of office equipment, including a personal computer; Business English, vocabulary, spelling, proper grammar and punctuation.
Some knowledge of:
* Employment laws including Worker's Compensation, HIPAA requirements, FMLA, FLSA and ADA.
* Utilize personal computer to produce accurate finished copy which includes technical terminology from rough copy or machine recording;
* Understand and follow oral and written instructions;
* Maintain extreme confidentiality and use tact and courtesy when dealing with others;
* Prioritize and schedule work and organize several items of information;
* Interpret and explain City policies;
* Set up and maintain complex records and files;
* Maintain confidential files and privileged information;
* Establish and maintain an effective working relationship with others;
* Communicate clearly and logically orally and in writing;
* Work independently;
* Become a notary;
* Operate word processing equipment or personal computer to input, access and print data and reports;
* Operate standard office equipment.
* Any combination of experience and training which would provide the required knowledges and abilities is qualifying. A typical way of qualifying for this position would be through:
* Four years of increasingly responsible experience in human resource clerical work which would provide the knowledges and abilities listed above, or an Associate Degree in a related field with two years of clerical experience which would provide the required knowledges and abilities.
* Skills Test Requirement: Must be able to accurately type 55 wpm.
* Residency Requirement: No residency requirement.
* Driver's License: Must possess valid driver's license or be able to provide suitable transportation as necessary as approved by the department head.
* Post Job Offer Medical Examination Requirement: Must pass medical examination for specified occupational grouping and drug screen prior to hire.
Starting Wage Range: Approximately $23.89 - $25.88, depending on related qualifications and experience of candidate.
Opportunity for future promotional consideration in Human Resources Department.
Work location: Government Center, 1316 N. 14th Street, Superior, WI
During this COVID-19 pandemic, we are still reporting to work in the office. All necessary precautions are in place to make it a safe work environment in compliance with CDC recommendations.
Work schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm (37.5 hours/week or as needed otherwise)
Benefits: Health/Dental Insurance, Retirement, Life Insurance, Paid Time Off, Paid Holidays
Under general supervision, this is a journey level technical class which performs a variety of support work of a confidential nature in the City's Human Resources Department. Performs other job-related duties as required.
Works with extremely confidential information relating to City employees, union contracts, as well as, other personnel issues of a personal nature. The employee frequently works independently in preparing routine correspondence, giving information, receiving complaints and performing other public contact work. The employee is given general instructions on assignments, methods and results are only occasionally reviewed.