SALARY:$19.64 Hourly, $40,851.20 Annually
DEPARTMENT: PUBLIC SAFETY
DIVISION: LAW ENFORCEMENT
OPENING DATE: 11/17/21
CLOSING DATE: 12/17/21 05:00 PM
The City of Wentzville is seeking a FULL TIME DISPATCH OFFICER.
In recent years, the City has been the only municipality named to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch Top Workplaces list. This list is based solely on employee feedback gathered through a third-party survey, which measures several aspects of workplace culture, including how employees feel about pay, benefits, managers and leadership – just to name a few.
Performs law enforcement related communications. Operates the computer-aided dispatch system, monitors and operates multi-line telecommunications and radio communications, determines type and level of response necessary, accomplishes timely and effective dispatch of emergency response units, monitors safety of responding units, and retrieves information from local, state and federal information systems.
Wentzville’s leadership is committed to being a regional destination, ensuring economic vitality, providing industry-leading services, optimizing the City’s infrastructure, and being a safe, inclusive and engaged community. Wentzville employees serve an integral role in integrating these five critical success factors into their everyday jobs. The City offers excellent benefits including health, vision, dental, employer-paid life insurance, long-term disability, a retirement pension, 12 holidays, two floating holidays, vacation time, sick time, tuition reimbursement, employee assistance, a discounted recreation center membership and much more!
Complete an application for an opportunity to join a work environment with a strong sense of place, potential for growth and resources for success.
ESSENTIAL & ANCILLARY JOB DUTIES:
Essential Job Duties
- Answer in-coming emergency and non-emergency calls from the public.
- Obtain specific information from calls to ensure an effective response.
- Code and enter information in CAD system and dispatch appropriate response units, i.e., law enforcement, fire, medical, and tow by giving location, type, and other vital information concerning the emergency situation.
- Monitor, receive, and enter status of responding units in CAD continuously and communicate updated information to units as required.
- Coordinate response efforts of units by communicating status of emergency situations and dispatch backup units if necessary in accordance with the communication center procedure.
- Receive citizen complaints and information calls and provide routine direction or assistance.
- Broadcast All Points Bulletins, i.e. missing/wanted person(s), stolen/felon vehicles, natural disaster, severe weather, civil, and technological emergencies.
- Receive and respond to requests from field units for primary and secondary services; i.e., warrant, license, person checks, K-9 unit, towing, service utility providers, medical examiner, and chaplain, etc.
Compile, verify, update, and maintain data in the CAD system and perform necessary inquiries and entries in the MULES system.
- Follow RsMO 576.050 in regards to Misuse of Official Information.
- Assist staff in on-the-job training of new dispatchers by instructing, monitoring, evaluating, and reporting progress of trainees.
- Monitor in-house security cameras, alarms for schools and banks, security of sally port, and after-hours lobby walk-ins.
Ancillary Job Duties
- Ensure privacy and security by accurately disseminating information and shredding paperwork when necessary.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS & KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Education, experience and training that are required or desirable in order to effectively perform the job at the time of hire. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered. Additional requirements and/or substitutions may be requested and require the approval of HR.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Criminal justice coursework desired.
- MULES Certification required within six months of employment.
- Must pass a comprehensive background investigation.
- Maintain requirements as stated in RsMO Statute 650.340 for continuing education to maintain employment in good standing.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
May be representative, but not all-inclusive, of those knowledge, skills and abilities commonly associated with this position.
- Proficiency in use of basic business software (word processing, spreadsheets, email, presentations) and basic office equipment.
- Knowledge of the layout of the City of Wentzville.
- Ability to effectively and timely communicate information using multi-line phones, multiple radio channels, and CAD system.
- Ability to develop call interpretation and decision making skills necessary for effective dispatch of appropriate emergency services.
- Ability to effectively and timely perform multi-task emergency dispatch functions in volatile and stressful situations.
- Ability to perform essential functions of 911 dispatching during CAD system failures.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and to accurately follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to accurately enter complete data into computer while talking and listening.
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain working relationships with customers, the public, field unit staff, and co-workers.
- Ability to work rotating shifts and call back.
- Regular attendance is a necessary and essential job duty.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL ABILITIES:
Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the duties of this job.
- Primarily an indoor work environment.
- Exposure to moderate noise levels.
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to speak and hear clearly.
- Must be able to perform repetitive wrist, hand, and/or finger movement in order to type and work on computer.
- Must have finger dexterity and hand-eye coordination in order to work on computer, telephone, and related office equipment.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds.
- Must have near vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The City of Wentzville is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The City does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status. The City of Wentzville makes every effort to fully comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. The City of Wentzville is a drug and alcohol free work place. A pre-employment drug screen is required for all positions. The City of Wentzville participates in E-Verify.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
1001 Schroeder Creek Blvd
Wentzville, MO 63385