Gaston College is seeking to fil the position of Academic Advisor
Provide academic advising, career guidance, and academic support services to students under the direction of the Director of Advising and Testing Services by collecting, organizing, and analyzing information about individuals through records, tests, and interviews. Participate in College programs, activities, and committees, which are designed to promote academic success. Make referrals to counselors, campus resources, student employment services, and local community agencies as needed. Provide assistance with special projects.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide academic advising, registration assistance, and College information through case management using a variety of formats and platforms.
- Assist students in the development of an educational plan and clarifying educational goals.
- Advise students about content and structure of academic programs including graduation and/or transfer requirements for a particular program of study.
- Document communications with students utilizing the student retention software.
- Maintain administrative documents and confidential student records.
- Collaborate with academic divisions, including deans, program chairs/coordinators, and faculty, and promote internal communication and resource sharing in order to benefit student success.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge about College programs and requirements; consult with contacts at various transfer institutions regarding course and program transferability, admission and graduation requirements.
- Provide academic support to students whose issues are impeding their academic success and make referrals to campus and community resources counselors, other agencies, and student employment services as appropriate.
- Behave in a professional manner that promotes collaboration, collegiality, and outstanding customer service for both internal and external clients.
- Participate in recruiting activities for the College to include, but not limited to, information sessions, campus tours, and virtual and off-site recruiting booths and presentations.
- Participate in College programs, activities, and committees that are designed to promote academic success.
- Serve as liaison between students, faculty, and external institutions.
- Provide career information to students on future job trends, type of training and education required for a specific job, where to obtain specific training and education, salary information, employment outlook, and working conditions.
- Provide information and answers to student questions about the transfer process to other two- or four-year institutions.
- Represent the College in the community and serve on assigned or elected campus committees and organizations.
- Participate in individual and team professional development activities to remain current in the field.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Director of Advising and Testing Services and/or the Vice President for Student Affairs.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's degree from a nationally accredited institution required.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Three years' work experience in human services required. (Human services is defined as any area where service is provided to people: counseling, advising, education, customer service, instruction, social work, etc.)
- Work experience in higher education and student affairs preferred.