Director of Human Resources
NOTICE OF VACANCY: It is the policy of Northland Community and Technical College to ensure that the selection for this position is accessible to all candidates. This document can be made available in alternative formats by calling Becky Lindseth, Interim Director of Human Resources, at (218) 683-8630.
DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Who May Apply: Open to all qualified job seekers
Date Posted: 2/3/2020
Closing Date: 5/1/2020
Hiring Agency/Seniority Unit: Northland Community and Technical College
Appointment Type: Full-time
Work Shift/Work Hours: Day
Days of Work: Monday - Friday
Travel Required: Yes on a regular basis
Salary Range: $71,592 - $114,550
Job Class Option: 1.0
Classified Status: Unclassified
Bargaining Unit/Union: 220
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Director of Human Resources provides vision, leadership, and strategic direction for the human resources activities of the college which includes identifying, developing, integrating and coordinating human capital solutions to contribute to the achievement of the College's goals.
This position has overall responsibility for planning, organizing and staffing the areas of, HR operations, and employee and labor relations functions for approximately 300 classified and unclassified employees to ensure the organization can execute its organizational strategies equitably and in compliance with all collective bargaining agreements or plans, laws and regulations. Responsibilities also include the recruitment, and onboarding for all positions; employee engagement and performance management; leadership and staff training and development; classification, compensation, and benefits administration; HRIS systems administration; and supervision of the Human Resources/Payroll office. This position serves as the Affirmative Action/ Chief investigator/Title IX Officer, 1B1 Designated Officer, 1B3 Designated Officer, and ADA Officer for the College. Principles of diversity, equity and inclusion, affirmation action, and equal employment opportunity will be applied to all college human resources practices. This position involves significant discretion and substantial involvement in the development, interpretation, and implementation of college policy. This position provides confidential advice to the President and leadership team.
This position serves on the President's Council and reports directly to the College President. As a senior leader of the college and member of the Leadership Team, this position provides critical input to the President on key college issues and opportunities. This requires compatibility and a commitment to shared goals with the College President and with the college's leadership team, as well as the ability to establish and maintain productive collegial and professional working relationships with the internal and external community.
* Bachelor's degree in Human Resources Management, Personnel Administration, or related field or the equivalent of education and experience.
* Five or more years of successful and progressively responsible professional experience in human resource management in a medium to large organization.
* Demonstrated high level of skills in leadership, management, supervisory, organizational, and human relations.
* Demonstrated competence in interpreting and complying with federal and state legislation, and state, system, and college policies.
* Demonstrated genuine commitment to inclusiveness and shared governance in leadership and decision making.
* Demonstrated ability to work successfully with persons of diverse backgrounds and commitment to affirmative action in staffing and operations.
* Demonstrated ability to identify and address issues and concerns in a diplomatic, sensitive, and confidential manner.
* Demonstrated effective written and verbal communication skills.
* High degree of computer literacy, including proficiency and demonstrated ability to use technology to develop business process efficiencies.
* Advanced degree.
* Experience in public sector human resource management.
* Solid employee relations/labor relations experience, including negotiating and managing collective bargaining agreements and maintaining sound business relationships with union representatives.
* Demonstrated ability to foster participation of others and to work effectively and collaboratively with administrators, faculty, staff, students, and other constituents of the college.
* Experience in strategic planning, project management, and change management.
* SPHR or equivalent professional HR certification.
Application deadline: 5/1/2020 at 11:59 p.m.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to all qualified applicants with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability who needs assistance or cannot access the online job application system, please contact the job information line at 651-259-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate what assistance is needed.
Why Work For Us: At Northland Community and Technical College, we have a great benefits package! Our generous benefits include 11 paid Holidays, Vacation Time, Sick Time, six weeks of Paid Parental Leave, low cost medical and dental insurance with low deductibles, a Pension Plan, 457(b) and 403(b) retirement plans and other retirement investment options, pre-tax medical and dental expense (with roll-over option) and dependent care accounts, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, as well as professional development and a tuition waiver program for employees and their dependents, etc. We promote the health and well-being of our employees and take work/life balance seriously.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Minnesota State Colleges and Universities is an Equal Opportunity employer/educator committed to the principles of diversity. We prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or membership in a local commission as defined by law. As an affirmative action employer, we actively seek and encourage applications from women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and individuals with protected veteran status.
An Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.