Benefits SpecialistTransit Employees' Health & Welfare Fund
This is a para-professional administrative position responsible for technical work in human resource benefit plan administration; including processing employee contributions and refunds, entering changes to the benefit plan coverage and options, communicating with carrier representatives, reconciling enrollment records. Incumbent also provides customer service for medical, dental, life insurance programs. Incumbent will have access to confidential information and is required to restrict the use of such information only to the operations of the benefit plan.
- Provide effective and sensitive customer service to telephone, mail, and walk-in participants regarding all aspects of the health and welfare benefit plan.
- Maintain records of a confidential nature, prioritize assignments, and assemble, organize, and prepare data from records
- Maintain accurate enrollment and contribution records on all participants.
- Process payments from participants in direct pay status including entries into the cash journal and into the Benefits Management System (BMS).
- Perform regular file import and export tasks.
- Contribute to smooth operation of Fund office operations.
- Assist senior staff with projects, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Superior interpersonal skills: to effectively and sensitively respond to member telephone and personal inquires about benefits and eligibility and to communicate effectively with carrier and authority personnel.
- Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills, including ability to design, create and edit a variety of spreadsheet and word processing documents.
- Team player with a positive attitude who is a high-energy, extremely organized professional
- Good organizational, human relations, and communications skills
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Ability to draft and edit correspondence to members and carriers.
- Ability to prepare reports as requested by the Executive Director.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduation from high school or completion of high school equivalency.
- Minimum of three years of an administrative, technical or para-professional nature in welfare benefits administration or comparable administrative role
- Demonstrated experience in processing benefit actions, organizing work processes, providing customer service and performing arithmetical computations
- Fluency in a language other than English a plus
- None Required. Certificates from IFEBP or SHRM a plus